Young, Unemployed, and Having Mixed Feelings

worried square cathredfern

Lisa Magid and Katie Simon are both 25 years old and unemployed. Add in the fact that both are interested in improv comedy and there is good reason to think that they probably have a lot in common. But when it comes to unemployment, they’re taking it differently.

Simon, a graduate of Columbia University, was working as a software developer when she was laid off. She had high hopes for all the things she could get done with her newfound free time. She didn’t anticipate the malaise that can take over a person without a set schedule. Simon said she found it, “harder to get things done than I thought it would be.” Despite working in one of the few industries that has consistently had work available over the last few years, she now worries about finding her next job. Simon says she is bad at interviewing and that getting a new job might be harder than she originally thought.

Magid is taking it all in stride. Having recently graduated from Brandeis, she was working as a server when she became unemployed.  Now she does occasional part-time work as a transcriber. “I feel like I’m young enough that I don’t mind,” said Magid. In fact, the idea of being employed might hold more terror for her. Magid said she was “scared to be employed in a way because I’m scared I’ll get stuck.” Her fear is, in part, motivated by the high unemployment rate. She worries she would feel so grateful to have a job that she’d stay even if she hated it.

Unemployment can be a mixed blessing for some. Fill out the survey below to explain where you stand, whether you are unemployed or underemployed.

[above image courtesy of cathredfern via flickr]